Thursday, January 9, 2014

Warm and Cozy

Designing a "warm" room - with "worn" furniture
By: Priya Patel

Before our big move to Florida, my fiancé and I were gifted these lovely coffee colored leather sofas from his parents. Due to our tight budget and knowing anything similar would retail far above what we could afford, we graciously accepted. They were upholstered with luxuriously supple blended leather and could easily be turned into a little reading nook, but first we needed to transform these sofas into more of a contemporary setting.


I could add a few blankets and make it cozier, but that’s not necessarily making it fun and fresh. I ran into these patterned pillows at my local home décor store and thought it would be a perfect balance with the dominating rich brown sofas. The shades of teal, silver, and periwinkle blue gave the room more of a balance.
Next came accessories. Accessorizing is the perfect way to add touches of your style and personality. Set the tone with personalized pictures or small plants. I found some inexpensive succulents at my local grocery store and decided to plant it in a plain rounded, crisp white pot. The white accents the periwinkle blue pillows, making everything consistent. I wanted to add more touches of white, but didn't want it to become a central color. So I opted for a textured candle in a warm yet inviting scent of vanilla. To tie everything back I wanted to add a rustic/natural touch…these pine cones did the trick! They are potpourri pine cones, which adds an extra scent to the living room.


Finally, I needed a bold accent piece and most importantly, additional lighting! The Lavo Table lamp was the perfect colored accent piece and it was quite functional for reading. While no two lamps are the same, I had a true unique piece. The ceramic lamp was sturdy enough to withstand play time with my shih-tzu and pretty enough to have lit for an extra beam of light throughout the night.


Have you ever received a hand-me-down piece of furniture? How did you design around it...?
If you are bold enough to design around the Lavo table lamp it can be found at your local lighting retailer, or online at these wonderful retailers.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment